This post may be sponsored or may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Read the full disclosure.
The technology business has boomed within the past 20 years, making tech products accessible to everyday people. Smartphones, laptops, and sophisticated desktop computers fly off the shelves. It is exceedingly rare that anyone is without at least one of these products.
While these smart devices make life easier for most people, they cause a lot of trouble when they malfunction. The average person does not have the knowledge that it takes to diagnose and repair technical issues that their device is experiencing which is why the demand for technical support representatives is steadily increasing.
Technical support encompasses many jobs and several can be done remotely. If you have the knowledge and skill that it takes to work in tech support, you could help others from the comfort of your own home. All you need is the right place to start.
Today, you are going to learn how to successfully become a work at home tech support guru.
The Basics of Remote Tech Support Jobs
If you’re going to offer tech support remotely, you need to follow a few basic guidelines and be prepared for what the job entails.
Have the Right Equipment
You can’t possibly work from home if you don’t have the equipment that you need to do your job. For a tech support representative position, you need:
- A laptop or computer
- High-speed internet connection
- A quiet place to work
- A separate work phone, in some cases
More may be required of you based on specific job requirements but these are the basic pieces of equipment that you should have access to.
Know Your Tech
Even if you have all of the equipment you need, you won’t land a tech support job if you do not know how to fix tech issues. You need to have extensive knowledge of computers or smartphones for basic tech support jobs.
Meet the Personality Criteria
There are certain qualities that every tech support professional should have to be successful. You should be:
- A good listener. Only the most attentive people can use the knowledge they’ve been given to piece together what the issue is and how to fix it to provide good customer support. You need to be able to remember the details that are being described to you about a certain issue if you want to accurately diagnose the problem.
- Friendly. The core role of your job is helping people. You can only help others if you keep a friendly and positive attitude; otherwise, the person on the other end of the line will feel disregarded and turn to another service. Working in tech support can be frustrating, but never take it out on clients.
Have the Necessary Skills
Any remote job requires you to have a few basic skills because they are a large portion of what determines your success. These include:
- Problem-solving skills
- Writing/speaking skills (most often in the English language)
- Multitasking abilities
- Customer service skills
- Basic computer skills
If you have all of these, you are well on your way to being qualified for a work at home tech support job.
Tips for Remote Tech Support Jobs
If you are going to work as a tech support agent, you need to follow a couple of guidelines for success.
- Have a steady supply of patience. Most people who call tech support hotlines are older. These clients grew up in a time before smart devices and they get easily frustrated and confused when their devices malfunction. They may have a less than stellar attitude and need instructions repeated to them several times. You may be on the receiving end of some angry words. Through this, you can’t lose your patience. If you do that, you lose your client.
- Continually study the newest devices and software updates. You need to have the most up-to-date knowledge so that you can help with a wide variety of problems.
- Work in a quiet, calm place. Tech support most often involves speaking over the phone. Too much background noise is distracting and disruptive and your job performance suffers because of it. Find a quiet place to set up your equipment and do your job in that area.
Work From Home Tech Support Job Ideas
If you want to get started in your career as a tech support agent, you should know where to begin looking. Unfortunately, many tech support job offers are scams and it’s hard to know who to trust. Take a look at some of these remote job opportunities and avoid the scams altogether.
AdviseTech is an IT solutions call center that often allows agents to work from home. You need prior experience working with personal computers (PCs) in a business setting to be considered for the job.
One of the more well-known tech support teams is Best Buy’s Geek Squad. Geek Squad primarily hires for in-store positions but there are occasional remote tech support jobs available. If there is no remote position available when you look at your local listings, check back periodically. One could open at any time!
Apple at Home
Apple is a tech giant that has revolutionized cell phones and computers alike. Such a huge company is always looking for more tech support agents to join their team. You can work part-time or full-time, whichever you prefer.
If you are bilingual, Apple especially wants to hire you!
Working from home is a great opportunity and if you have the skills to do it, take advantage of it. Most people can only dream of working in their home without ever having to put on something other than pajamas. As a work from home tech support agent, you can do all of that and make good money in the meantime. Just remember – the best quality to have for at-home customer service jobs is unending patience. Trust me, you’ll need it.